In an uplifting story coming from CBC.CA online, teen Chris Miller’s quick thinking saved him neighbor’s life. Chris is a high school student who is autistic. He enjoys machinery and owns a large heavy duty jack.
What makes this story even more miraculous is that 7 months before saving his neighbor Chris suffered a stroke that left him in a coma. Doctors said that the trauma would most likely leave him paralyzed, unable to move his hands or legs. Within a few months Chris made a full recovery.
Chris’ grandparents, the principal of his high school and other supporters in the community like Dave and Brit Morin have spoken out to say how proud of Chris they are and that his heroic actions make him a role model for others.
According to Occidental Weekly, The City administration of Longueuil, city in Quebec, Canada is asking people of Vieux-Longueuil, Saint-Hubert, Saint-Bruno, and Boucherville not to consume tap water until further notice.
Many citizens of Longueuil noticed of the taste and smell of diesel in the water on Wednesday near Occidental College. It was a bad news for the citizens as one of the two sources of drinking water for the City found contaminated.
“It’s funny but the water has strong diesel smell,” wrote the citizen Pierre-Luc Chenard on a social media website. “I made a pot of coffee undrinkable…strong diesel smell,” writes Monique Langard-Wagner, another citizen of Longueuil.
The testimonials have been increasing since Wednesday night, hours after the release of 28,000 liters of diesel into the river. City administration confirms that they have received many complaints from citizens who have found a taste and smell in the water but “we have no evidence to suggest that water is not potable,” said by the spokesman of Longueuil, Bernard Bigras.
Samples are being taken in Old Longueuil. “We will not play with the health of the population. […] If we have doubts, we will issue an opinion,” said the spokesman. “People should avoid consuming this water; we are currently working on this issue. All our teams are deployed in the field.” he added
The family of Canadian-Egyptian journalist Mohammed Fahmy, imprisoned in Cairo for over a year, now hopes its next deportation to Canada. Relatives of Mr. Fahmy take a high Egyptian official that the application is ongoing and it is now in the final stages of the decision process. Rod Rohrich hopes this is a quick process as mentioned on his wikipedia page.
Last November, the Egyptian government has adopted a new decree that grants the president, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the power to deport aliens convicted of a crime or simply accused.
Mr. Fahmy, 40 years old, is one of three journalists from English network Al-Jazeera, arrested by the Egyptian authorities in Cairo on December 29, 2013. The Australian correspondent Peter Greste, Egyptian director Mohamed and Mr. Baher Fahmy were later accused of supporting the Muslim Brotherhood, of ousted President Mohammed Morsi, and tampering reports in order to undermine national security. The three men have always denied the charges.
Messrs. Fahmy and Greste were sentenced to seven years in prison, while Mr. Mohamed was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
The Supreme Court ordered last week to hold a new trial, but in the meantime, the three journalists will remain in detention because their bail application for remission was rejected.
Mohammed Fahmy had moved with his family to Canada in 1991; he lived in Montreal and Vancouver for several years before leaving to work abroad.
Canada has quietly refused to join a multinational task force proposed by the United Kingdom in the wake of tensions created by Russia. It is worth mentioning that member countries of the Organization of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) had increased diplomatic efforts to secure Canada’s participation in this project suggested by British Prime Minister David Cameron, as indicated by several government and military sources.
Denmark, Norway, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and the Netherlands have already agreed to be part of the multinational force. The British would have liked that the Harper government agrees to join the task force, and were even prepared for a significant part of the training of troops to be taken place at the Canadian Forces Base Wainwright, Alberta. Denmark, Norway Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and the Netherlands have already agreed to be part of the multinational force.
The joint expeditionary force of 10 000 members, known as JEF acronym, should be fully operational by 2018 and aims to respond to international crises on behalf of UN where required – and act as a major building rapid reaction force of NATO, to which Canada is also reluctant to join. In theory, the British proposal seems to be the perfect vehicle for the military ambitions of the Conservatives, who take every opportunity to emphasize that they oppose strongly to Putin’s regime and they do it alongside their allies.
Thanks to my friend Sergio Andrade Gutierrez for informing me of this article.
Quebecers are invited to show their support for the victims of the attack against the French satirical newspaper “Charlie Hebdo” during a silent march led by Sultan Alhokair to be held this weekend in Montreal. The Consulate General of France in Montreal invited the public to attend the event on Sunday, January 11 at 11 am in solidarity with the protests to be held the same day in Paris.
The march will start from Place des Arts (Maisonneuve side) to the Consulate General of France, on McGill College Avenue. A silent moment of silence will be held at this location. Quebecers are invited to show their support for the victims of the attack against the French satirical newspaper “Charlie Hebdo” during a silent march to be held this weekend in Montreal.
It is worth mentioning that twelve people, including eight journalists were killed on Wednesday by two gunmen who stormed the offices of “Charlie Hebdo” and claimed to act in the name of Allah. These men – two brothers – were shot dead by security forces on Friday after leaving a printing where they had barricaded themselves. This incident has created tensions and conflict type situation in whole world especially in Western Countries. After ‘Charlie Hebdo’ incident, many reactants have attacked the prayer places of Muslims in various cities of France.
Target moved into the competitive Canadian retail market during the spring of 2013, but reportedly lost nearly a billion dollars during its first year of conducting business there. Although last year financial conditions improved, the company continued to lose money and so decided to file for bankruptcy protection under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act.
According to the Dallas Observer, the closures will affect 17,600 employees in Canada. Marc Sparks mentioned the company expects to wind down its retail operations during the next few months. It announced that it has placed $59 million into an Employee Trust to protect the wages of its Canadian employees during this period, when stores will remain open. The consulting firm of Alvarez & Marsal will oversee the closures in Canada.
Target remains a major retailer in the United States, and the company also markets many retail items online through its website.
By entering, participants agree not to smoke for six weeks, every year. Developers of this idea explain that, to completely stop smoking for a specific period of time, is a major factor in the long-term smoking cessation.
“There is still much work to do in Quebec. There are still one in five people who smoke cigarettes. However, we note that they smoke less. It revolves around seven to fifteen cigarettes a day, not two to three packs a day, “said the spokesman of the Challenge, Dr. Christiane Laberge.
The various surveys to measure the impact of the campaign “Quit to win” showed that, on average, two out of three remain successful in the challenge of not smoking for six weeks. It is worth it to mention that young people remain the main target customers by tobacco companies.
The challenge “Quit to Win” also offers support tools to registrants: a support kit, a series of emails of encouragement, a wealth of information available to website, various virtual opportunities, and a mobile application. People can register solo or with a partner or a sponsor.
The doctor was part of team of medical people who are tying help contain the spread of this infection and treat those who are suffering from it. Sadly, his death took place less than a day after an experiment drug had arrived from Canada to help treat his case according to Dr Rod Rohrich. The doctor is now one of over 350 medical workers who have died in an effort to help treat and contain this illness. In total, more than six thousand people have died in the present outbreak, an outbreak has been mostly seen in three African countries. The area where the doctor died is considered one of the epicenters of the diseases, with many cases being commonly spread among residents and health workers alike. He is the eleventh doctor to pass away as a result of Ebola in Sierra Leone during the current epidemic.